Sunday, September 20, 2009

More on Baby Michael Perry

I am home from the hospital and back to my computer, so it is time for the full update on Michael Perry...

In the past 72 hours, Scott and I have received the crash course in neonatal care. We are tossing around new words like ductis arteriosis, RDS, surfactant, and bilirubin. Officially, baby is suffering from Respiratory Distress Syndrome. What was once critically dangerous is now hugely treatable and with no long term effects. Simply put, despite being full-term Michael Perry's lungs weren't quite ready. He just needs a couple of days for his lungs to catch up to living in his new air-filled world.

As we are learning with sick babies, they tend to get a little worse before they get better. After delivery, Michael Perry was doing well and we enjoyed cuddling him. Within the hour, he was struggling a bit. The nurses were quick to get him the care he needed. Since then, baby has been in the NICU under the care of some amazing doctors. Over the past three days, his breathing issues at first worsened and have slowly improved. He was doing well enough last night that Scott and I were able to hold and cuddle him before I was sent home (though I hated to leave). This morning his improving trend continued, and for the first time, I was able to nurse him. Both wonderful things.

The expectation is that Michael Perry will continue on his path to good health. He has several milestones to cross, but we anticipate that he will join us at home before the end of the week.

As for the timing of Michael Perry arrival, it turns out that doctor's like to change their minds a lot. We canceled the induction for last Wednesday, and instead I had an ultrasound that day. The results from that, made the docs decide that Thursday was our day. So I got a phone call Wednesday evening saying to be at the hospital the next day. The delivery was smooth as could be. Many of you moms out their will hate me, but I only pushed for four minutes and baby was born. And thanks to my lovely epidural even the pushing didn't hurt. I definitely know how lucky I am in that department!

As for me, I am feeling much, much better!!! My mystery problems are not gone, but I am cautiously optimistic that I can get back to a somewhat normal life (if such as thing exists when you have three kids). My pain is much less and for the first time in 9 months I am not nauseous. I even ditched the cane. Once again, I am walking upright like the rest of the human race.

While we are still worried about Michael Perry, we are counting our abundant blessings. His breathing problems should resolve quickly and we will get to enjoy a brand new addition to our family.

That is life in the stroller lane. Lots of love.


Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We're still keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Anxiously awaiting your next update and the baby's anticipated homecoming.
Love, Beth and Betty

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can't view your site properly within Opera, I actually hope you look into fixing this.