Friday, December 31, 2010

One Word Resolution

Happy New Year (almost)! Scott and I were talking about New Year's resolutions last night. The entire discussion consisted of simply one word - survive. I start school exactly one week from today. As excited as I am to start on this new journey, I'm terribly nervous, too. We are not quite sure how we will juggle Scott's demanding job, my accelerated school program, the kids, the house, the errands, and everything else. We are simply resolving to survive. We are also adopting a good friend's motto - done is good. In our time-starved new world we probably won't do everything well, but simply getting them done is good enough.

We hope your Christmas holidays were wonderful. Ours was a chaos of flying wrapping paper, but tons of fun. We enjoyed Christmas Eve dinner at home with Nana, followed by dessert at the Melting Pot. From the amount of chocolate on their dresses, you would have thought the girls dunked themselves in the fondue pot. It was worth it, the dessert was delicious. Then, it was home to prepare for Santa.

We were up bright and early to reveal all the goodies Santa left. Santa (and Nana) did not disappoint as our playroom is one again over flowing. The big gift of the year was a keyboard for the girls. Piano lessons start next week, so I went ahead and bought some ear plugs. I think we will need them.

It is a good thing the kids opened their gifts quickly, because we needed to get out of town before the snow. We cleaned up, loaded up, and were on the road by 11AM. The snow was falling 30 minutes later and it was a blizzard by the time we got to the mountains.

After 4 hours driving in the snow, we were thrilled to arrive at the toasty cabin. We unloaded and then celebrated Christmas all over again - how lucky are we??? With a lot of snow on the ground and 20" more on the way, there was no question about it being a White Christmas.

Since the roads were bad, we didn't leave the cabin. We sledded in the white powder. Marcus and Emily played endless games with the kids. Mimi made delicious hot chocolate for all of us. We even hosted our own version of Minute to Win It - thanks to Scott and lots of random household items.

When the snow stopped it was time to hit the slopes, the girls went to ski school, Mick went to the little kids' camp, and Scott and I rented snowboards. The conditions were perfect, which is much more than I can say about my snow boarding skills. I hadn't been on a board since 1999 - yikes. I may not have hit the terrain park, but I got down the hill. I had a great time, though my back side is still bruised. All of the kids had fun and the girls picked up a few ski skills, too.

While it many regards it was a wonderful holiday, it was quite sad too. Scott's grandmother took very ill and passed away this Thursday. Poppa traveled to be with his mom and the rest of the Harrell family. Scott is traveling to her funeral tomorrow. We will miss Grandmother Harrell deeply and send our love and prayers to Grandpa Harrell and all of the family.

That is life in the stroller lane.

No comments: